Over the past couple of weeks, I have been polling people at cookouts and brunches asking them to give me a colloquial definition of “ratchet”. So far, I got some answers about what it is and what it is not.
- Ratchet is loose fun.
- Ratchet is not synonymous with wretched.
- Ratchet is not ghetto, but if ratchet is your lifetyle then you may be ghetto. -Eb The Celeb.
- Anyone can be ratchet. (Doesn’t depend on race or socioeconomic level.)
- Ratchet is often captured on World Star Hip Hop but can also be on TMZ.
- This is even an Ratchet Girl Anthem.
It seems to me that ratchet can mean a lot of things, but one thing it is that is to not take it too seriously. Acting ratchet is not the sum total of who a person is. Sometimes loose fun is just plain fun. Within reason, I guess.
Update: TheRoot.com does an article about Ratchet nearly four months after my post.